Sign this petition at: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3272
Petition to the Minister of National Revenue
- Border restrictions enforced upon us effective March 2020, prevented us from working in our cities of employment;
- Therefore, we resumed work place responsibilities, remotely from our homes in Canada;
- At no point were we informed that working remotely would later be leveraged against us by Revenue Canada;
- In order to protect our community, and places of employment, we followed legal protocols established by the Government of Canada and of the United States;
- At this time many Canadians have already filed their U.S. tax & Canadian tax returns as in the previous years based on advice by numerous CRA agents;
- Assessment of any amendment to U.S. taxes would take upwards of 6 months for resolution at each tax jurisdiction level before any refund payments are sent;
- Also, many of the U.S.-based employers are not set up to deduct Canadian taxes at the source, and may not be receptive to make any changes to accommodate this requirement; and
- It is highly probable that U.S. employers may start letting Canadians go if they are being expected to make any administrative changes as their payroll system will not be changed for Canadians.
We, the undersigned, the cross border community residing in Canada, call upon the Minister of National Revenue to immediately redact undue taxation upon our constituency, and to ask that Revenue Canada continue to honour previous taxation processes, maintaining status quo, and immediately halt any further undue action towards cross-border workers, which will ultimately result in extreme hardship and mental duress in an already challenging time.